Reboot Alberta

Friday, November 07, 2008

Alberta Liberal Party Leadership PSA

So today is the last day for Albertans to participate in the forthcoming Alberta Liberal leadership contest. Three candidates are in the running and lots of challenges or the "winner." You can check them out at: Mo Elsalhy: www.elsalhy.com, David Swann: www.electdavidswann.ca, Dave Taylor: www.tayloralberta.ca

A strong democracy and good government demands a strong opposition. Pick up memberships on-line today before 4 pm to participate.


I have sold lots of Alberta Progressive Conservative memberships to Liberals in the last two leadership contests. Many people resist "joining" a political party because they somehow feel it restricts them from speaking there minds. That has not been my experience. In fact it it pointless to join a political party if you don't speak your mind. that is what they are for.


I encourage Albertans to pick up an Alberta Liberal membership for the sole purpose of having some say and influence on who will be the Leader of the Opposition in YOUR government. It is money well spent.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:50 pm

    It is morally wrong to join one party when you support another. I'm a federalist - if I lived in Quebec why would I join the Bloc Quebecois who wants to tear up my country?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anonymous - "Morally wrong to join one party when you support another."? Morally wrong? Strong stuff but I respectfully disagree.

    It may be more morally wrong to only allow those very few citizens who actually belong to political parties and control them from the inside to decide who is eligible to become a Premier or a Prime Minister.

    On what basis do they get to decide who is offered to lead? Political parties are not in our Constitution. They are political traditions and conventions only. And they are in serious need of overhaul in a pluralistic, secular and inclusive society that is characteristic of a modern healthy Canadian democracy.

    I support democracy and always vote for individual candidates or leaders, never for the party. In times of decision about leadership in political parties I think it is a lost opportunity to have a voice if one does not participate in that selection process...if it is open to you. It would be more immoral not to participate in my value set.

    I have never voted for a political party or an ideology. I have long supported the Alberta Progressive Conservative Party, now through 4 leaders. I find that political party's Statement of Principles to be the closest to my own value set. I have been impressed that the Statement of Principles were designed, debated and adopted and even updated, by an open vote of the party membership at conventions. This is pure grassroots, bottom up, positive participatory politics. Check out the Statement of Principles at the website of the PC Party of Alberta.

    I still find mindless adherence to political ideology based public policy decision making too stifling. The tendency for too many in political parties to "go along" with the leadership to "get along" is way too constraining of free speech, free thought and rights and duties of individual responsibility of citizenship.

    As a citizen in a free and democratic society, I value my right to disagree openly, rationally and respectfully, even with my own party and its leadership. Regular readers of this Blog will know that.

    As for you joining the Bloc, I agree, why would you, given the federalist values you state. Those values are what guides your judgment? I applaud those who overtly vote their values, even if they disagree with mine.

    I know I could not join the Federal Conservatives even though I was long time federal Progressive Conservative member.
    This is because I believe the Harper Party (and it is a one-man party) would irreparable change the essence of being Canadian as an inclusive, accommodating, progressive and nurturing society. The Harper Party is too old-style American Republican in policy and approaches to be trsuted with governing for my value set. It has been proven to be malevolently manipulative, authoritarian and a controlling top-down regime for purposes of pure political power, at least under the current leadership.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous comments are discouraged. If you have something to say, the rest of us have to know who you are